Senior Researcher at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA-UAB), she holds a PhD in Public Health and a master’s degree in Health Behaviour and Health Education. Her work explores how healthier cities can also become equitable, placing urban health interventions in the context of broader social and political environments. She is also vice-director and co-leader of two lines of research at the Barcelona Lab for Urban Environmental Justice and Sustainability.
Who makes it possible?
The City and Science Biennial is a project promoted by Barcelona City Council through Barcelona Science and Universities, with the support of the Ministry of Culture and Sport in the framework of the Cultural and Scientific Capital of Barcelona.
This edition of the Biennial is being held simultaneously in Barcelona and Madrid with the collaboration of the Círculo de Bellas Artes from Madrid and the Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología (FECYT).
The activities of this Biennial have been proposed by an independent curatorship.
Professor in the Department of Condensed Matter Physics at the University of Barcelona (UB), researcher at the UB Institute of Complex Systems (UBICS) and creator of the OpenSystems-UB group, which promotes scientific research projects with citizen participation and artistic practices. He participates in collective citizen science experiments for public space. He has been responsible for and curator of the Science Area at Arts Santa Mònica on behalf of the UB, as well as curator of the Biennial City and Science 2019, among others.
Curator, writer, musician and researcher in the space of confluence of music, art, technology and science. He holds a degree in Mathematics, a higher degree in Piano, a master's degree in Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Thought and a doctorate in Humanities. He has been head of Masters and Postgraduate courses at Eina, University Centre of Design and Art in Barcelona, director of Hangar, Centre for Production and Research in the Visual Arts, and is currently director of Quo Artis.
Elea Giménez Toledo
PhD in Documentation, she is a tenured scientist at the CSIC and director of the Research Group on Academic Books. Between 2020 and 2022 she directed the CSIC's Centre for Human and Social Sciences. She coordinates the Interdisciplinary Telematic Platform ES-CIENCIA and is a member of the OPERAS Scientific Committee on open knowledge in the Humanities and Social Sciences. She participates in several advisory committees of international institutions in the field of science and communication.
José Manuel Sánchez Ron
With a degree and doctorate in Physics, he is an professor emeritusof History of Science at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Since 2003 he has been a member of the Royal Spanish Academy, of which he is currently deputy director. He is also an academic at other institutions and has received numerous awards for his essays and popular works. He is the author of more than 400 works in the field of the history of science and essays. He has curated several exhibitions.
- Associació Catalana de Comunicació Científica (ACCC)
- Ayuntamiento de Madrid
- Biblioteca de Catalunya
- Biblioteca Sant Pau - Santa Creu
- Brain Film Fest
- CaixaForum Madrid
- Canòdrom - Ateneu d'Innovació Democràtica
- Centre Cívic Drassanes
- Centre Cívic Vil·la Urània
- Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB)
- Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya (COAC)
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
- Consorci de Biblioteques de Barcelona
- Districte de Ciutat Vella
- Embassy of Germany in Spain
- Embassy of France in Spain
- Embassy of Portugal in Spain
- Embassy of Switzerland in Spain
- Fundació Banc Sabadell
- Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera
- Fundació Pasqual Maragall
- Fundación Telefónica
- Fundació Víctor Grífols i Lucas
- Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC)
- Istituto Italiano di Cultura di Madrid
- Jardí Botànic de Barcelona
- La Capella - Institut de Cultura de Barcelona
- La Perla 29
- La Quàntica
- Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA)
- Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona
- Museu de la Ciència CosmoCaixa
- Reial Acadèmia de Ciències i Arts de Barcelona (RACAB)
- Reial Acadèmia de Medicina de Catalunya (RAMC)
- Residència d'Investigadors - CSIC
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
- Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
- Viceconsejería de Universidades, Ciencia e Innovación de la Comunidad de Madrid